YOUR article in Mondays paper Veteran honours pioneering surgeon brings back some interesting memories.
A former victim of Sir Archibald McIndoes wonderful work in the earliest days of plastic surgery was a former RAF pilot by the name of Dick Worn. He had been on a routine fighter pilot training course in Rhodesia in 1945 just before the cessation of hostilities when it all went horribly wrong and he crashed in flames.
The results were serious indeed and in time he ended up in McIndoes care to have his face reconstructed using, as he said, a fairly large area of his nether regions! He would go on to a complete, but far from invisible, recovery, marry one of the nurses who had cared for him and make a huge success of the family apple-growing business in the south of England.
READ MORE:Veteran honours pioneering surgeon who rebuilt his life
We met up during the sixties through a common interest in what would become known as the vintage car movement. I regularly stayed at his family home in Essex when down south and often he told stories about the huge and varied things that the members of The Guinea Pig Club got up to. He was never seen without its silver badge on his jacket.
One morning he said Im going to show you where it all happened; were going to East Grinstead.
And so, after a couple of hours or so we parked up in front of the hospital. He proceeded to give me a complete tour of the complex where McIndoes work had been done; not just ordinary wards, exercise and recreational areas, but including several of the operating theatres. We just opened doors and pressed on regardless.
When I suggested that maybe we should get permission from someone he just tapped his silver badge and said That is all the permission I need!
And so it was; even fully kitted out and occupied surgeons and staff did not call into question the well-known guinea pigs. They were all so looked up to and respected by everyone there.
Sadly Dick is no longer with us but the memories of our long friendship survive. These were the days!
George M MitchellDunblane
AS we approach the celebration of the Sandinista triumph over the Somoza dictatorship, your readers should note that many Scots who had lived or worked in Sandinista Nicaragua signed the public letter drawing worldwide attention to the dictatorial Ortega regime as this autumns presidential election approaches.
Hundreds of Europeans who had been active in solidarity with the revolution also signed, as a rejection of the Ortega/Murillo regimes lie that the opposition was only part of the USAs dirty tricks department left over from the 80s.
This followed the initiative of people from the USA who had been active in solidarity and opposed the CIAs deadly activities.
Readers should challenge (and encourage) their elected representatives to denounce the pre-election arrests.
Norman LockhartEx-nurse volunteer, Scottish Medical Aid for Nicaragua
ON Channel 4 news yesterday evening Lord Frost, the one who negotiated the Brexit deal, backed up by blustering Johnson claiming there would be no border in the Irish Sea, has now declared that it doesnt work and needs to be renegotiated (whether the EU agrees or not). In Frosts own words: It is perfectly normal, if a treaty isnt working, for it to be renegotiated.
Well its time for the Scottish Government to apply his words to the 1707 Treaty of Union which hasnt worked (except in Englands favour) for 314 years!
Paul GillonLeven, Fife
I WOULD like to thank you and in particular Robbie Mochrie for the article in Saturdays National (Heres what started civil war in the Tory Party, Jul 17).
At the bottom of the first column it mentions Britain in 1990 faced a deteriorating economic position. It would appear we are in a similar position now, but having implemented Brexit and looking at economic recovery after Covid, possibly a far worse position.
READ MORE:Heres what started the Tory Party's civil war over Europe
I cant see that there would be anything other than panic in Westminster as a result of an independent Scotland. The obsession with the attempted manipulation of markets and avoiding imposed financial regulations from anywhere other than Westminster has created the monster.
The dilemma they now have is that they cant risk the devaluation of the pound by losing the GDP input from the Scottish economy. Yet they still crow about what currency will you use? They still ask through fear that we would not continue to use Sterling.
William H Boylevia email
MONDAYS Picture of the Day was not Gretna, but Carter Bar, Gods country.
- Rileys game-winning single in 9th lifts Braves past Dodgers - KARK - October 17th, 2021
- Palat scores, lifts Lightning to 7-6 OT win over Red Wings - Associated Press - October 17th, 2021
- No more knocks against Bulldogs after Stetson Bennett lifts them to victory - The Atlanta Journal Constitution - October 17th, 2021
- Everything you ever wanted to know about surgical and non surgical facelifts - British GQ - October 17th, 2021
- Did Sheryl Crow Get Plastic Surgery? See Photos of the Stunning Singer Over the Last 26 Years - Life&Style Weekly - October 6th, 2021
- Ricky Martin clears the air on his alleged plastic surgery - Bolavip US - October 6th, 2021
- Jamie Lee Curtis Fears Plastic Surgery and Procedures 'Are Wiping Out Generations of Beauty' - Yahoo Entertainment - October 6th, 2021
- Joan Collins Shades the Kardashians Over Plastic Surgery Allegations - Just Jared - October 6th, 2021
- Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgerys All That Glows event goes through October 15th! - WOODTV.com - October 6th, 2021
- Ricky Martin's new face: Funniest memes and reactions from the pop star's plastic surgery - Bolavip US - October 6th, 2021
- Who are plastic surgery twins Daisy and Dolly?... - The Sun - October 6th, 2021
- 6 Doctors Present the Pros and Cons To Thread Lifts - NewBeauty Magazine - October 6th, 2021
- Plastic surgery for the 'Instagram Face' - Tonight on THE FEED - TV Blackbox - October 6th, 2021
- Did Ellen Pompeo Get Plastic Surgery? Photos of the Stunning Greys Anatomy Star Over the Years - Closer Weekly - October 6th, 2021
- Study Results Announced During Award-Winning Presentation on the Effect of Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet on Outpatient Plastic Surgery at the Annual... - September 1st, 2021
- Lockdown inadvertently helped a medical segment. Find out how - THE WEEK - September 1st, 2021
- More men in China are turning to plastic surgery, outspending women on it - The Straits Times - September 1st, 2021
- What is the most dangerous cosmetic surgery?... - The Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Love Islands Liberty talks cosmetic treatments and plastic surgery rumours - OK! magazine - September 1st, 2021
- Plastic Surgery on the Rise Post-Pandemic Including Among Men - Digital Journal - September 1st, 2021
- Zoom Dysmorphia Is Following Us Into the Real World - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 1st, 2021
- Zoom Dysmorphia Is Following People Into the Real World - WIRED - September 1st, 2021
- Boost Immunity from the Inside Out at NutriFlo Medspa and IV Lounge Tamarac Talk - Tamarac Talk - September 1st, 2021
- Butt Lift Procedure Tips Accurately Point out the Importance of Choosing an Outstanding Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, says Dr. J Plastic Surgery -... - September 1st, 2021
- Samara Weaving went through a transformation to play a troubled social influencer in Nine Perfect Strangers - The West Australian - August 20th, 2021
- Jane Fondas plastic surgery explored: How much work has the Grace and Frankie star had done? - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - August 20th, 2021
- Editorial: Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure bill - what's in it for Texas? - Houston Chronicle - August 20th, 2021
- Wendy Osefo's Husband Eddie Reacts to Her Plastic Surgery - Yahoo Entertainment - August 20th, 2021
- Katie Price savagely mocked by fiance Carl Woods as he tells her shes gone too far with plastic sur... - The US Sun - August 20th, 2021
- After Ugas bout, Manny Pacquiao will face his toughest fight yet - ESPN - August 20th, 2021
- One Type of Business Surged During the Pandemic: Cosmetic Surgery - Dallas Observer - August 20th, 2021
- Korean netizens are astonished by the woman who received plastic surgery for 8 years to look like Fan Bingbing - allkpop - August 20th, 2021
- This new cryo-recovery mask gives you glowing skin in 10 minutes - image.ie - August 20th, 2021
- Social Media Reacts To Cardi B. Saying She 'Can't Wait' To Have Plastic Surgery After She Has Her Baby - Hot97 - Hip Hop & R&B News - August 20th, 2021
- Smoother streets: DOT makes progress on resurfacing projects - Greenville Daily Reflector - August 20th, 2021
- Toyota arrives late to the party with a plug-in Rav4 and a baby crossover - The Irish Times - August 20th, 2021
- Rapper Pepa Sued Over Unpaid Reconstructive Plastic Surgery - The Source - August 7th, 2021
- Last second takedown lifts Steveson to gold medal victory Connecticut Wrestling Online - Connecticut Wrestling Online - August 7th, 2021
- Lexus to launch three EVs through 2025; next-gen RX, GX and LX arriving on new global architecture - report - paultan.org - Paul Tan's Automotive News - August 7th, 2021
- High-speed internet. Road upgrades. Electric vehicle chargers. What the infrastructure bill could mean for Arizonans - AZCentral.com - August 7th, 2021
- Jennifer Lawrences Transformation From the Early 2000s to Today: See Photos! - Life & Style Weekly - August 7th, 2021
- Brand New Turf Fields Installed At Sayvilles Broadway Ave. Field - Patch.com - August 7th, 2021
- Marc Jacobs revealed he got a face-lift, and shared a post-op selfie covered in surgical tubing and bandages - Yahoo News - July 23rd, 2021
- Froma Harrop: The pandemic won many over to the cosmetic surgery knife - The Winchester Star - July 23rd, 2021
- As moratoriums lift, will America face a wave of foreclosures and evictions? - The Economist - July 23rd, 2021
- Plastic surgery fail on the Acropolis - Kathimerini English Edition - July 23rd, 2021
- Katie Price reveals close up look at her new face with no filter after surgery that left her fearing she... - The Sun - July 23rd, 2021
- From the Front Lines to the Corner Office: How the Face of Home Care Ownership Is Changing - Home Health Care News - July 23rd, 2021
- Big Plastic Surgery Increase from 2015 to 2019 Underscores Normalization of Aesthetic Enhancements, says Beverly Hills Physicians - WFMZ Allentown - July 23rd, 2021
- Dr. R. Brannon Claytor Named One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons of 2021 by Newsweek - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2021
- The 'Reverse Selfie': Blurring the Lines of Reality and Fantasy - Women's eNews - July 23rd, 2021
- 5 luxury Birmingham spas to visit to unwind and relax - Bham Now - July 23rd, 2021
- Katie Price gets back in the saddle as she rides her horse after surgery that left her fearing she would... - The Sun - July 23rd, 2021
- Netizens say "dieting is the best plastic surgery" when seeing these modified photos of celebrities - allkpop - July 23rd, 2021
- Blaine Plastic Surgery is Kicking Off their 1st Breast Cancer Fundraising Event on Saturday, July 10th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - July 8th, 2021
- England to Lift Most Virus Restrictions, Including Those for Masks - The New York Times - July 8th, 2021
- Oregon Lifts Most Statewide Mask, Distancing, And Capacity Restrictions: What Employers Need To Know - Employment and HR - United States - Mondaq News... - July 8th, 2021
- RHOBHs Crystal Kung Minkoff Sets the Record Straight on Plastic Surgery Rumors: Ive Never Done Anything - Us Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Carlsons Winner Lifts Whips Over Archers in Heavyweight Showdown; Atlas Outpace Chrome - insidelacrosse.com - July 8th, 2021
- Kim Kardashians biggest fan Jennifer Ward plans plastic surgery makeover to look just like her in L... - The US Sun - July 8th, 2021
- Sutton Stracke Reveals Whether She's Had "Work Done" - Bravo - July 8th, 2021
- The 'Zoom Dysmorphia' Behind the Booming Plastic Surgery Industry - Al-Bawaba - July 8th, 2021
- Our World In The Year 2250 OpEd Eurasia Review - Eurasia Review - July 8th, 2021
- 5 anti-aging face yoga exercises that will reduce fine lines, puffiness, and saggy skin - Insider - July 8th, 2021
- Mask-Wearing, Social Distancing To End As UK Government Vows To Lift Remaining COVID Restrictions From July 19 - Complex - July 8th, 2021
- 5 Best-Selling Minivans in The US in 2021 - Newsweek - July 8th, 2021
- It Used to Hurt Dolly Parton's Feelings When People Would Suggest She'd Had Plastic Surgery - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 8th, 2021
- Thinking of getting a minor cosmetic procedure like botox or fillers? Here's what to consider first - The Conversation AU - July 8th, 2021
- RHOBHs Crystal Sets the Record Straight on Plastic Surgery Rumors - AOL - July 8th, 2021
- Eddie Rosario's big hit lifts Indians over Twins 4-1 - Associated Press - June 27th, 2021
- Elf ear plastic surgery is the hot new beauty trend in China - pennlive.com - June 27th, 2021
- Princess Anne told Mike Tindall to get plastic surgery ahead of wedding: 'Loved my nose!' - Express - June 27th, 2021
- Tony Hale reveals twins of Veep, Arrested Development characters - Entertainment Weekly News - June 27th, 2021
- Everything the Kardashians Have Said About Plastic Surgery: Khloes Nose Job, Kylies Lip Injections - Life&Style Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- How to Choose the Right Facial for Your Skin Type and Needs - Real Simple - June 27th, 2021
- NYC public pools reopen: The best and buzziest places to check out this summer - New York Post - June 27th, 2021
- New Owners Of Highland Inn On Preserving Its History And Plans For Renovations | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - June 27th, 2021
- The biosurgery market is projected to reach USD 16.0billion by 2026 from USD 12.2billion in 2021, at a CAGR of 5.7% - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2021
- After a busy pandemic, East Bay golf course looks to expand its greens - The Mercury News - June 27th, 2021
- BMW Teases the Upcoming X3 M and X4 M Facelifts - BMWBLOG - BMWBLOG - June 9th, 2021