New York City is getting back in the swim of things.
After 2020s summer of social distancing, New Yorkers can finally take the dive back into more familiar waters. On June 26, 48 of New York Citys outdoor pools will reopen in all five boroughs (five of the citys outdoor pools will still be closed due to active reconstruction projects). And admission is still free to everyone!
Open swim hours will remain the same as in the before-times: 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., and 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
Pools will use a bracelet system to reduce line congestion when pools reach capacity, Megan Moriarty, press officer for NYC Parks, told The Post. If the line gets too long, bathers will receive a wristband and a return time, ensuring everyone gets a time slot for a swim.
And regardless of vaccination status, pool-goers must wear face coverings except when in the water, and NYC Parks will provide face coverings to those who need.Staff will clean deck furnishings and high touch areas such as ladders, bathrooms, drinking fountains and door handles multiple times a day.
This summer will also see the debut of three recently renovated pools as part of the citys Cool Pools initiative, in which city park pools receive upgrades like wall art, lounge chairs and free poolside activities such as life-size games like Connect Four at Van Cortlandt Pool in the Bronx. Howard Pool and Bushwick Pool in Brooklyn also got facelifts this year.
On Thursday, NYC Parks Commissioner Mitchell J. Silver jumped into the Van Cortlandt Pool with kids from the Kingsbridge Heights Community Center and the Davidson Community Center to celebrate the reopening.
This is so exciting, New York Citys coming back, Silver said from the water, noting that last summer only 15 city pools were open. This is what recovery looks like.
Here, 10 of the top NYC pools to check out this summer.
Situated in New York Citys third-largest park, the complex consists of an Olympic-sized pool, a wading pool and a renovated diving pool. After swimming, take a walk through the parks oak forests or check out Van Cortlandt Lake, the largest freshwater lake in the Bronx. In addition to spiffed up surfaces, the pool deck features colorful chairs that complement the new mural with painted suns, palm trees, sunglasses and the NYC Parks logo.
205 W. 242nd St. #4002, the Bronx; NYCGovParks.org
Astoria Pool is perhaps one of the citys most popular pools due to its impressive views and historic features. The pools decorative glass block, Art Deco-style steel railings, and Art Moderne-style ticket booth still exist today. The diving board measures 32 feet, and the large pool area provides great views of the Hell Gate and Robert F. Kennedy Bridge, making for a splashing good time.
Astoria Pool was one of 11 outdoor public pools that the Parks Department opened in the summer of 1936 during the Great Depression to boost community recreation.
Another fun fact: In 1936 and 1964, Astoria Pool also hosted the Olympic Trials for the US. Swim and Diving Teams.
19th Street & 23rd Drive, Astoria; NYCGovparks.org
Tis the sea-sun to experience the Floating Pool Lady, the only floating pool in the United States. Theseven-lane, half Olympic-size 25-meter pool is located on a barge in the East River in the Bronxs Barretto Point Park. The facility also includes a 40,000-square-foot manmade beach.
Although it is the only one, Ladys not the first floating pool NYC has seen. At the turn of the century, New York City had around 15 floating baths in the East and Hudson rivers, held afloat on pontoons and located near the tenement districts. Inspired by those works, Ann Buttenwieser established the Neptune Foundation to commission new movable waterfront pools, and from there, the Floating Pool Lady was born.
Tiffany Street & Viele Avenue, the Bronx; FloatingPool.org
Built in 1936, the Jackie Robinson Pool in Harlem is home to interesting architecture and lush foliage. Designed to accommodate 4,090 bathers at a time, the pool was once known as Colonial Park Pool in reference to the areas role in the Revolutionary War perhaps most notable for the 1776 Battle of Harlem Heights in which the Continental Army was victorious over the British.
In 1978 the pool was named for baseball legend Jackie Robinson, and in 1981 a bronze bust of Robinson was installed in the lobby. Bathers enter through a medieval-style two-story bathhouse with Roman arched windows.
The neighborhood gem is nestled in a steep bluff with plenty of trees providing shade to pool-goers. The facility also features a small water park for children. (The interior recreation center remains closed.)
85 Bradhurst Ave., Harlem; NYCGovParks.org
Opened in 1936, Highbridge Pool in Washington Heights may be one of the citys most popular due to its appearance in the new film In the Heights.The 162-by-220-foot poolwas the talk of the town almost a century ago when Robert Moses and Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia attended its opening. The pool underwent major renovations in the 1990s to upgrade its heating and ventilation systems, and volleyball and basketball courts where some of the best athletes in the city scrimmage were added in 2001.
The pool is notable for its views of the High Bridge, which crosses the Harlem River, and the Highbridge Water Tower that stands nearly 200 feet tall. The Olympic-size pool is surrounded by six playgrounds in Highbridge Park and a historic bathhouse. The heat of the sun may make you crave piragua which is easily found nearby at street vendors.
Amsterdam Avenue & West 173rd Street, Washington Heights; NYCGovParks.org
Crotona Pool is the largest in the Bronx at 330-by-120 feet nearly double an Olympic-regulation facility. It was designed by Herbert Magoon to accommodate 4,265 bathers at a time. The pool includes two pyramid-like structures in the water to mark depth, and the facility also hosts a small aquatic play area with sprinklers and water buckets.
The Play Center and bathhouse feature animal-themed sculptural elements including ibis-topped pilasters created in the 1930s by Frederick George Richard Roth. Lounge chairs surround the pools perimeter, but you may have to rush to secure one at the height of the summer. Near the pool is a 3-acre pond called Indian Lake where you might spot turtles and fish; Arthur Avenue isnt too far if youre looking for great post-swim grub.
1700 Fulton Ave., the Bronx; NYCGovParks.org
Located in Sunset Park Brooklyn, this pool provides some of the best views of any in the city, as swimmers can walk a bit farther up the parks main hill to snap pics of the Statue of Liberty and downtown Manhattan.
Although youll likely have to wade through some Brooklyn hipsters, neighborhood families can still enjoy the place: The smaller kids pool has been drained but now features spray fountains.
Seventh Avenue between 41st and 44th streets, Sunset Park, Brooklyn; NYCGovParks.org
This Staten Island pool got a makeover in 2019, with new brightly colored murals (hello, Insta opps!), lounge chairs, cabana-style shade structures and new plantings. There are two pools at the park, one of which is 60-by-75-feet long, and theres also a smaller wading pool perfect for kids.
6900 Joline Ave., Staten Island; NYCGovParks.org
A beneficiary of this summers Cool Pools initiative, this pool is located on the border of Bushwick and Williamsburg in Brooklyn. In addition to an intermediate pool and a wading pool, this park has a playground, handball courts, spray showes and swings. The pool area has been renovated with wall art, lounge chairs, shade structures and new green areas. Make the trip complete with a meal at Robertas, with some of the best pizza in the city, or Bunna Cafe that serves up vegan Ethiopian fare.
Humboldt Street between Flushing Avenue and Moore Street, Bushwick, Brooklyn; NYCGovParks.org
Howard Pool, in between Ocean Hill and Brownsville, Brooklyn, is the third to receive renovations this year through Cool Pools. Originally named Howard Houses Pool after 18th-century inn owner William Howard the pool was opened in 1968 and renovated in the 1990s. The swimming pool can accommodate up to 180 bathers at one time. In addition to the pools new photo-worthy features, such as colorful murals of summer images, the facility also hosts a small playground with sprinklers.
East New York Avenue and Mother Gaston Boulevard, Brownsville, Brooklyn; NYCGovParks.org
Here is the original post:
- Rileys game-winning single in 9th lifts Braves past Dodgers - KARK - October 17th, 2021
- Palat scores, lifts Lightning to 7-6 OT win over Red Wings - Associated Press - October 17th, 2021
- No more knocks against Bulldogs after Stetson Bennett lifts them to victory - The Atlanta Journal Constitution - October 17th, 2021
- Everything you ever wanted to know about surgical and non surgical facelifts - British GQ - October 17th, 2021
- Did Sheryl Crow Get Plastic Surgery? See Photos of the Stunning Singer Over the Last 26 Years - Life&Style Weekly - October 6th, 2021
- Ricky Martin clears the air on his alleged plastic surgery - Bolavip US - October 6th, 2021
- Jamie Lee Curtis Fears Plastic Surgery and Procedures 'Are Wiping Out Generations of Beauty' - Yahoo Entertainment - October 6th, 2021
- Joan Collins Shades the Kardashians Over Plastic Surgery Allegations - Just Jared - October 6th, 2021
- Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgerys All That Glows event goes through October 15th! - WOODTV.com - October 6th, 2021
- Ricky Martin's new face: Funniest memes and reactions from the pop star's plastic surgery - Bolavip US - October 6th, 2021
- Who are plastic surgery twins Daisy and Dolly?... - The Sun - October 6th, 2021
- 6 Doctors Present the Pros and Cons To Thread Lifts - NewBeauty Magazine - October 6th, 2021
- Plastic surgery for the 'Instagram Face' - Tonight on THE FEED - TV Blackbox - October 6th, 2021
- Did Ellen Pompeo Get Plastic Surgery? Photos of the Stunning Greys Anatomy Star Over the Years - Closer Weekly - October 6th, 2021
- Study Results Announced During Award-Winning Presentation on the Effect of Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet on Outpatient Plastic Surgery at the Annual... - September 1st, 2021
- Lockdown inadvertently helped a medical segment. Find out how - THE WEEK - September 1st, 2021
- More men in China are turning to plastic surgery, outspending women on it - The Straits Times - September 1st, 2021
- What is the most dangerous cosmetic surgery?... - The Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Love Islands Liberty talks cosmetic treatments and plastic surgery rumours - OK! magazine - September 1st, 2021
- Plastic Surgery on the Rise Post-Pandemic Including Among Men - Digital Journal - September 1st, 2021
- Zoom Dysmorphia Is Following Us Into the Real World - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 1st, 2021
- Zoom Dysmorphia Is Following People Into the Real World - WIRED - September 1st, 2021
- Boost Immunity from the Inside Out at NutriFlo Medspa and IV Lounge Tamarac Talk - Tamarac Talk - September 1st, 2021
- Butt Lift Procedure Tips Accurately Point out the Importance of Choosing an Outstanding Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, says Dr. J Plastic Surgery -... - September 1st, 2021
- Samara Weaving went through a transformation to play a troubled social influencer in Nine Perfect Strangers - The West Australian - August 20th, 2021
- Jane Fondas plastic surgery explored: How much work has the Grace and Frankie star had done? - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - August 20th, 2021
- Editorial: Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure bill - what's in it for Texas? - Houston Chronicle - August 20th, 2021
- Wendy Osefo's Husband Eddie Reacts to Her Plastic Surgery - Yahoo Entertainment - August 20th, 2021
- Katie Price savagely mocked by fiance Carl Woods as he tells her shes gone too far with plastic sur... - The US Sun - August 20th, 2021
- After Ugas bout, Manny Pacquiao will face his toughest fight yet - ESPN - August 20th, 2021
- One Type of Business Surged During the Pandemic: Cosmetic Surgery - Dallas Observer - August 20th, 2021
- Korean netizens are astonished by the woman who received plastic surgery for 8 years to look like Fan Bingbing - allkpop - August 20th, 2021
- This new cryo-recovery mask gives you glowing skin in 10 minutes - image.ie - August 20th, 2021
- Social Media Reacts To Cardi B. Saying She 'Can't Wait' To Have Plastic Surgery After She Has Her Baby - Hot97 - Hip Hop & R&B News - August 20th, 2021
- Smoother streets: DOT makes progress on resurfacing projects - Greenville Daily Reflector - August 20th, 2021
- Toyota arrives late to the party with a plug-in Rav4 and a baby crossover - The Irish Times - August 20th, 2021
- Rapper Pepa Sued Over Unpaid Reconstructive Plastic Surgery - The Source - August 7th, 2021
- Last second takedown lifts Steveson to gold medal victory Connecticut Wrestling Online - Connecticut Wrestling Online - August 7th, 2021
- Lexus to launch three EVs through 2025; next-gen RX, GX and LX arriving on new global architecture - report - paultan.org - Paul Tan's Automotive News - August 7th, 2021
- High-speed internet. Road upgrades. Electric vehicle chargers. What the infrastructure bill could mean for Arizonans - AZCentral.com - August 7th, 2021
- Jennifer Lawrences Transformation From the Early 2000s to Today: See Photos! - Life & Style Weekly - August 7th, 2021
- Brand New Turf Fields Installed At Sayvilles Broadway Ave. Field - Patch.com - August 7th, 2021
- Marc Jacobs revealed he got a face-lift, and shared a post-op selfie covered in surgical tubing and bandages - Yahoo News - July 23rd, 2021
- Froma Harrop: The pandemic won many over to the cosmetic surgery knife - The Winchester Star - July 23rd, 2021
- As moratoriums lift, will America face a wave of foreclosures and evictions? - The Economist - July 23rd, 2021
- Plastic surgery fail on the Acropolis - Kathimerini English Edition - July 23rd, 2021
- Katie Price reveals close up look at her new face with no filter after surgery that left her fearing she... - The Sun - July 23rd, 2021
- From the Front Lines to the Corner Office: How the Face of Home Care Ownership Is Changing - Home Health Care News - July 23rd, 2021
- Big Plastic Surgery Increase from 2015 to 2019 Underscores Normalization of Aesthetic Enhancements, says Beverly Hills Physicians - WFMZ Allentown - July 23rd, 2021
- Dr. R. Brannon Claytor Named One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons of 2021 by Newsweek - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2021
- The 'Reverse Selfie': Blurring the Lines of Reality and Fantasy - Women's eNews - July 23rd, 2021
- A hospital visit like no other with plastic surgery 'guinea pig' Dick Worn - The National - July 23rd, 2021
- 5 luxury Birmingham spas to visit to unwind and relax - Bham Now - July 23rd, 2021
- Katie Price gets back in the saddle as she rides her horse after surgery that left her fearing she would... - The Sun - July 23rd, 2021
- Netizens say "dieting is the best plastic surgery" when seeing these modified photos of celebrities - allkpop - July 23rd, 2021
- Blaine Plastic Surgery is Kicking Off their 1st Breast Cancer Fundraising Event on Saturday, July 10th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - July 8th, 2021
- England to Lift Most Virus Restrictions, Including Those for Masks - The New York Times - July 8th, 2021
- Oregon Lifts Most Statewide Mask, Distancing, And Capacity Restrictions: What Employers Need To Know - Employment and HR - United States - Mondaq News... - July 8th, 2021
- RHOBHs Crystal Kung Minkoff Sets the Record Straight on Plastic Surgery Rumors: Ive Never Done Anything - Us Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Carlsons Winner Lifts Whips Over Archers in Heavyweight Showdown; Atlas Outpace Chrome - insidelacrosse.com - July 8th, 2021
- Kim Kardashians biggest fan Jennifer Ward plans plastic surgery makeover to look just like her in L... - The US Sun - July 8th, 2021
- Sutton Stracke Reveals Whether She's Had "Work Done" - Bravo - July 8th, 2021
- The 'Zoom Dysmorphia' Behind the Booming Plastic Surgery Industry - Al-Bawaba - July 8th, 2021
- Our World In The Year 2250 OpEd Eurasia Review - Eurasia Review - July 8th, 2021
- 5 anti-aging face yoga exercises that will reduce fine lines, puffiness, and saggy skin - Insider - July 8th, 2021
- Mask-Wearing, Social Distancing To End As UK Government Vows To Lift Remaining COVID Restrictions From July 19 - Complex - July 8th, 2021
- 5 Best-Selling Minivans in The US in 2021 - Newsweek - July 8th, 2021
- It Used to Hurt Dolly Parton's Feelings When People Would Suggest She'd Had Plastic Surgery - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 8th, 2021
- Thinking of getting a minor cosmetic procedure like botox or fillers? Here's what to consider first - The Conversation AU - July 8th, 2021
- RHOBHs Crystal Sets the Record Straight on Plastic Surgery Rumors - AOL - July 8th, 2021
- Eddie Rosario's big hit lifts Indians over Twins 4-1 - Associated Press - June 27th, 2021
- Elf ear plastic surgery is the hot new beauty trend in China - pennlive.com - June 27th, 2021
- Princess Anne told Mike Tindall to get plastic surgery ahead of wedding: 'Loved my nose!' - Express - June 27th, 2021
- Tony Hale reveals twins of Veep, Arrested Development characters - Entertainment Weekly News - June 27th, 2021
- Everything the Kardashians Have Said About Plastic Surgery: Khloes Nose Job, Kylies Lip Injections - Life&Style Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- How to Choose the Right Facial for Your Skin Type and Needs - Real Simple - June 27th, 2021
- New Owners Of Highland Inn On Preserving Its History And Plans For Renovations | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - June 27th, 2021
- The biosurgery market is projected to reach USD 16.0billion by 2026 from USD 12.2billion in 2021, at a CAGR of 5.7% - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2021
- After a busy pandemic, East Bay golf course looks to expand its greens - The Mercury News - June 27th, 2021
- BMW Teases the Upcoming X3 M and X4 M Facelifts - BMWBLOG - BMWBLOG - June 9th, 2021