The Dove brand launched its Reverse Selfie Advertisement Campaign that sparked a public conversation about social media and beauty standards in April 2021 as a part of a self-esteem project that has spanned two decades.
The campaign featured a young woman who reversed multiple enhancements made to a selfie using a photoshopping mobile app. The practice of making digital edits to an individuals facial features in photos has been a repercussion of beauty ideals in social media, according to the Dove Brands mission.
Digital distortion is happening more than ever, and tools once only available to professionals can now be accessed by young girls at the touch of a button without regulation, saysAlessandro Manfredi, executive vice president of Dove. According to Manfredi, there has been intensifying pressure on young people to edit and distort their appearance to reflect an unachievable ideal.
Beauty standards have been ever-changing, and their ability to influence youth culture across media platforms has remained strong. Young individuals, especially women, have become hyper-aware of their appearance and how others perceive them after interacting on social media.
The increase in social media among Gen Z and Millenials rose with the emergence of the Instagram face, a term dubbed by the New Yorker columnist Jia Tolentino. The face that she described has ultimately transformed the beauty standards of the modern era.
The single, cyborgorian face, according to Tolentino, has consisted of a woman with poreless skin, high cheekbones, plump lips, and a tiny nose. The look is like a clay statue that has been molded and perfected to fit one overarching beauty ideal. The face is distinctly white but ambiguous ethnic, she wrote, regarding the eurocentric yet culturally appropriating nature of the beauty ideals.
In addition to Instagram, the face has reappeared across media platforms. When individuals are constantly interacting with these images that strive for the Instagram face, they tend to mentally absorb this beauty ideal, according toPulse Nigeriawriter Ntiantu Obiora. Whilst we may believe we are mindlessly scrolling through such content, our subconscious is soaking it all up, and before we know it, those perfectly formed bodies have become the standard by which we measure everything else, writes Obiora.
Social media is responsible for amplifying the beauty standards that reflect widely-held attitudes regarding gender, rooted in commonplace beliefs about what is valuable in women, and not as valued in men.
The American public consistently receives differing viewpoints about valuable traits of men vs. women. According to a2017 Pew Research study, thirty-five percent of respondents indicated that physical attractiveness is a socially invaluable trait in women, whereas only 11 percent of the respondents responded that physical attractiveness is important in men.
Perhaps the reason for the disparity has been the media marketing of beauty images that have displayed content related to fitness, hair, makeup, clothing, and skincare products, according to a2020 California State University San Bernardino study.
In addition to the sponsored content posts, social media apps like Snapchat and Instagram have created what has been known as automatic filters to fix and beautify the images of social media users.
Additionally, many women have looked to the Facetune app to tweak their images, which is not limited to slimming and expanding body parts to become more socially acceptable. But this vision Facetune peddles of itself, like the selfies its users tweak to perfection, is hard to square with reality. Its features invite far more granular editing than simply zapping away a pesky zit or brightening a smile. By design, these tools have led young women to fixate over supposed problems with their appearances that theyd never previously been concerned about, writes senior reporter Jesselyn Cook for theHuffington Post.
The rising dependency on filters has demonstrated that it can affect an individuals self-perception and has led to inevitable comparisons and insecurities.Beauty filters affect college females It has affected the way I look at myself Society has this higher expectation for young women. We get judged more than men. We get judged by how we look, dress, and our body shape. That is one reason many women are getting plastic surgery, because of the pressure to look perfect like these filters, said a college participant in the California State San Bernardino study.
An increasing number of patients who are social media users have been looking to restructure their appearance to reach an unmatchable reality, called Snapchat dysmorphia, according to a2018 Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center study in JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery.Dysmorphia and the desire to look like a filtered version of oneself have created an unrealistic look and blurs the line of reality and fantasy.
Social media users have also been more likely to mimic the behaviors of other users on social media, according to a2019 Current Psychology study. The study concluded that frequent social media use and visual consumption of cosmetically enhanced images reinforce preexisting dissatisfaction with appearance.
After viewing modified images of women with facial cosmetic enhancements, 118 female participants aged 18-29 reported they became more inclined to the notion of undergoing a procedure to achieve their desired look after viewing a total of 30 images.The Instagram face has altered how society understands beauty, promoted an uptick in cosmetic/plastic surgery interests, and lowered womens self-esteem.
There has been a 131 percent increase in cosmetic procedures including minimally invasive soft tissue fillers and Botox injections or invasive procedures such as nose reshaping since the year 2000, according to the 2020National Plastic Surgery Statistics.
According to Jesselyn Cook, individuals, especially young women, have been gazing at their phone screens for extended periods during the COVID-19 pandemic. The individuals then have more time to measure themselves up to their digitally-altered photographs and the posts of others.Weve been sinking deeper into this reality for a while now, but it has accelerated during the pandemic when weve spent more time than ever on social media, and when our digital selves have for so long been the only version anyone has seen of us. The result is a body dysmorphia epidemic with increasingly unattainable beauty standards that at the extremes defy basic human physiology, she writes
About the Author: Mackenzie Waterfield is a full-time undergraduate student in her third year at Boston University.
Go here to see the original:
- Rileys game-winning single in 9th lifts Braves past Dodgers - KARK - October 17th, 2021
- Palat scores, lifts Lightning to 7-6 OT win over Red Wings - Associated Press - October 17th, 2021
- No more knocks against Bulldogs after Stetson Bennett lifts them to victory - The Atlanta Journal Constitution - October 17th, 2021
- Everything you ever wanted to know about surgical and non surgical facelifts - British GQ - October 17th, 2021
- Did Sheryl Crow Get Plastic Surgery? See Photos of the Stunning Singer Over the Last 26 Years - Life&Style Weekly - October 6th, 2021
- Ricky Martin clears the air on his alleged plastic surgery - Bolavip US - October 6th, 2021
- Jamie Lee Curtis Fears Plastic Surgery and Procedures 'Are Wiping Out Generations of Beauty' - Yahoo Entertainment - October 6th, 2021
- Joan Collins Shades the Kardashians Over Plastic Surgery Allegations - Just Jared - October 6th, 2021
- Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgerys All That Glows event goes through October 15th! - WOODTV.com - October 6th, 2021
- Ricky Martin's new face: Funniest memes and reactions from the pop star's plastic surgery - Bolavip US - October 6th, 2021
- Who are plastic surgery twins Daisy and Dolly?... - The Sun - October 6th, 2021
- 6 Doctors Present the Pros and Cons To Thread Lifts - NewBeauty Magazine - October 6th, 2021
- Plastic surgery for the 'Instagram Face' - Tonight on THE FEED - TV Blackbox - October 6th, 2021
- Did Ellen Pompeo Get Plastic Surgery? Photos of the Stunning Greys Anatomy Star Over the Years - Closer Weekly - October 6th, 2021
- Study Results Announced During Award-Winning Presentation on the Effect of Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet on Outpatient Plastic Surgery at the Annual... - September 1st, 2021
- Lockdown inadvertently helped a medical segment. Find out how - THE WEEK - September 1st, 2021
- More men in China are turning to plastic surgery, outspending women on it - The Straits Times - September 1st, 2021
- What is the most dangerous cosmetic surgery?... - The Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Love Islands Liberty talks cosmetic treatments and plastic surgery rumours - OK! magazine - September 1st, 2021
- Plastic Surgery on the Rise Post-Pandemic Including Among Men - Digital Journal - September 1st, 2021
- Zoom Dysmorphia Is Following Us Into the Real World - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 1st, 2021
- Zoom Dysmorphia Is Following People Into the Real World - WIRED - September 1st, 2021
- Boost Immunity from the Inside Out at NutriFlo Medspa and IV Lounge Tamarac Talk - Tamarac Talk - September 1st, 2021
- Butt Lift Procedure Tips Accurately Point out the Importance of Choosing an Outstanding Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, says Dr. J Plastic Surgery -... - September 1st, 2021
- Samara Weaving went through a transformation to play a troubled social influencer in Nine Perfect Strangers - The West Australian - August 20th, 2021
- Jane Fondas plastic surgery explored: How much work has the Grace and Frankie star had done? - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - August 20th, 2021
- Editorial: Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure bill - what's in it for Texas? - Houston Chronicle - August 20th, 2021
- Wendy Osefo's Husband Eddie Reacts to Her Plastic Surgery - Yahoo Entertainment - August 20th, 2021
- Katie Price savagely mocked by fiance Carl Woods as he tells her shes gone too far with plastic sur... - The US Sun - August 20th, 2021
- After Ugas bout, Manny Pacquiao will face his toughest fight yet - ESPN - August 20th, 2021
- One Type of Business Surged During the Pandemic: Cosmetic Surgery - Dallas Observer - August 20th, 2021
- Korean netizens are astonished by the woman who received plastic surgery for 8 years to look like Fan Bingbing - allkpop - August 20th, 2021
- This new cryo-recovery mask gives you glowing skin in 10 minutes - image.ie - August 20th, 2021
- Social Media Reacts To Cardi B. Saying She 'Can't Wait' To Have Plastic Surgery After She Has Her Baby - Hot97 - Hip Hop & R&B News - August 20th, 2021
- Smoother streets: DOT makes progress on resurfacing projects - Greenville Daily Reflector - August 20th, 2021
- Toyota arrives late to the party with a plug-in Rav4 and a baby crossover - The Irish Times - August 20th, 2021
- Rapper Pepa Sued Over Unpaid Reconstructive Plastic Surgery - The Source - August 7th, 2021
- Last second takedown lifts Steveson to gold medal victory Connecticut Wrestling Online - Connecticut Wrestling Online - August 7th, 2021
- Lexus to launch three EVs through 2025; next-gen RX, GX and LX arriving on new global architecture - report - paultan.org - Paul Tan's Automotive News - August 7th, 2021
- High-speed internet. Road upgrades. Electric vehicle chargers. What the infrastructure bill could mean for Arizonans - AZCentral.com - August 7th, 2021
- Jennifer Lawrences Transformation From the Early 2000s to Today: See Photos! - Life & Style Weekly - August 7th, 2021
- Brand New Turf Fields Installed At Sayvilles Broadway Ave. Field - Patch.com - August 7th, 2021
- Marc Jacobs revealed he got a face-lift, and shared a post-op selfie covered in surgical tubing and bandages - Yahoo News - July 23rd, 2021
- Froma Harrop: The pandemic won many over to the cosmetic surgery knife - The Winchester Star - July 23rd, 2021
- As moratoriums lift, will America face a wave of foreclosures and evictions? - The Economist - July 23rd, 2021
- Plastic surgery fail on the Acropolis - Kathimerini English Edition - July 23rd, 2021
- Katie Price reveals close up look at her new face with no filter after surgery that left her fearing she... - The Sun - July 23rd, 2021
- From the Front Lines to the Corner Office: How the Face of Home Care Ownership Is Changing - Home Health Care News - July 23rd, 2021
- Big Plastic Surgery Increase from 2015 to 2019 Underscores Normalization of Aesthetic Enhancements, says Beverly Hills Physicians - WFMZ Allentown - July 23rd, 2021
- Dr. R. Brannon Claytor Named One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons of 2021 by Newsweek - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2021
- A hospital visit like no other with plastic surgery 'guinea pig' Dick Worn - The National - July 23rd, 2021
- 5 luxury Birmingham spas to visit to unwind and relax - Bham Now - July 23rd, 2021
- Katie Price gets back in the saddle as she rides her horse after surgery that left her fearing she would... - The Sun - July 23rd, 2021
- Netizens say "dieting is the best plastic surgery" when seeing these modified photos of celebrities - allkpop - July 23rd, 2021
- Blaine Plastic Surgery is Kicking Off their 1st Breast Cancer Fundraising Event on Saturday, July 10th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - July 8th, 2021
- England to Lift Most Virus Restrictions, Including Those for Masks - The New York Times - July 8th, 2021
- Oregon Lifts Most Statewide Mask, Distancing, And Capacity Restrictions: What Employers Need To Know - Employment and HR - United States - Mondaq News... - July 8th, 2021
- RHOBHs Crystal Kung Minkoff Sets the Record Straight on Plastic Surgery Rumors: Ive Never Done Anything - Us Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Carlsons Winner Lifts Whips Over Archers in Heavyweight Showdown; Atlas Outpace Chrome - insidelacrosse.com - July 8th, 2021
- Kim Kardashians biggest fan Jennifer Ward plans plastic surgery makeover to look just like her in L... - The US Sun - July 8th, 2021
- Sutton Stracke Reveals Whether She's Had "Work Done" - Bravo - July 8th, 2021
- The 'Zoom Dysmorphia' Behind the Booming Plastic Surgery Industry - Al-Bawaba - July 8th, 2021
- Our World In The Year 2250 OpEd Eurasia Review - Eurasia Review - July 8th, 2021
- 5 anti-aging face yoga exercises that will reduce fine lines, puffiness, and saggy skin - Insider - July 8th, 2021
- Mask-Wearing, Social Distancing To End As UK Government Vows To Lift Remaining COVID Restrictions From July 19 - Complex - July 8th, 2021
- 5 Best-Selling Minivans in The US in 2021 - Newsweek - July 8th, 2021
- It Used to Hurt Dolly Parton's Feelings When People Would Suggest She'd Had Plastic Surgery - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 8th, 2021
- Thinking of getting a minor cosmetic procedure like botox or fillers? Here's what to consider first - The Conversation AU - July 8th, 2021
- RHOBHs Crystal Sets the Record Straight on Plastic Surgery Rumors - AOL - July 8th, 2021
- Eddie Rosario's big hit lifts Indians over Twins 4-1 - Associated Press - June 27th, 2021
- Elf ear plastic surgery is the hot new beauty trend in China - pennlive.com - June 27th, 2021
- Princess Anne told Mike Tindall to get plastic surgery ahead of wedding: 'Loved my nose!' - Express - June 27th, 2021
- Tony Hale reveals twins of Veep, Arrested Development characters - Entertainment Weekly News - June 27th, 2021
- Everything the Kardashians Have Said About Plastic Surgery: Khloes Nose Job, Kylies Lip Injections - Life&Style Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- How to Choose the Right Facial for Your Skin Type and Needs - Real Simple - June 27th, 2021
- NYC public pools reopen: The best and buzziest places to check out this summer - New York Post - June 27th, 2021
- New Owners Of Highland Inn On Preserving Its History And Plans For Renovations | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - June 27th, 2021
- The biosurgery market is projected to reach USD 16.0billion by 2026 from USD 12.2billion in 2021, at a CAGR of 5.7% - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2021
- After a busy pandemic, East Bay golf course looks to expand its greens - The Mercury News - June 27th, 2021
- BMW Teases the Upcoming X3 M and X4 M Facelifts - BMWBLOG - BMWBLOG - June 9th, 2021